Monday 14 March 2011

Wig-esteem

I never thought I'd feel so intimidated and shy when wearing a wig! The thought of making a cuppa in the communal kitchen area or heading to the toilet sends my introvert side into overdrive.

What am I bothered about? So, people stare, so, people smile to themselves or nudge their mates in the ribs.
Day one jitters are definitely in full swing.

Just to give myself some clarity and a jolt back to reality, here's some facts that'll help remind me why I'm doing this:



* In the UK, 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health problem of some kind in the course of a year. Affecting people regardless of their age, gender, wealth or ethnicity, mental illness does not discriminate.
* Fewer than 40% of employers are willing to consider employing someone with a mental health problem.
* Mental health problems are three times more common then cancer.

Today, I wear my wig for those who've suffered with mental health problems. Will you support me too? http://my.rednoseday.com/jemmacrowston

No comments:

Post a Comment